Inside: 30 of the best passionate poems about love and heartbreak.
Being in love can feel like pure magic. When two people are passionately in love, they become completely consumed by their lust and love for one another. It can be so mystifying that, when you try putting it in words, it feels that there is no proper way to describe it. The only feeling that mirrors the strength of passion of being in love is the passionate pain of heartbreak.
The feeling of a broken heart is also so mystifying that it can be hard to describe. Below is a list of passionate poems, including passionate love poems for him and her and passionate poems about heartbreak.
Passionate Love Poems
When you wish to express the depth of the love that you feel for another person, a meaningful poem is a wonderful way to make art of the admiration in your heart. These passionate love poems express an overwhelming lust.
1. Resignation by Nikki Giovanni. This passionate love poem describes being in love as the most natural feeling in the world
2. The moment that
your eyes met mine,
I could see inside
the rest of my life.
3. Heart to Heart by Rita Dove. This is a poem that describes the complex feelings of falling in love.
4. Cold feet find refuge
Under warm ready thighs
What’s mine is yours,
And you are mine.
Return to each
This is how water
Loves.” — Nayyirah Waheed
6. When the leaves turn cold
And fall from the trees
When the color seems to drain
From the world outside
I turn to you, right next to me
My personal vibrant sunshine
7. My Heart is the Ocean by Alexandra Vasiliu. In this passionate poem, the speaker describes their heart as an ocean that they invite their lover to dive into.
8. Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare. Perhaps one of the most famous passionate love poems, this sonnet describes the unwavering nature of true love.
9. There Was He by Nicole McAllister. This poem is about finding a new love after being treated badly by a past lover.
Passionate Love Poems for Her
When you passionately love someone, you want to be able to tell them just how much they mean to you. These passionate poems will let your loved one understand how important she is to you.
10. Your smile, your eyes, the wave of your hair,
The sight of you makes me airy with love.
Your kindness, your laugh, your light,
I am so lucky to have you in my life.
11. A Thousand Stories Long by Nikita Gill. This poem is about reminding a woman of all the amazing things that she is.
12. “I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where,
I love you directly without problems or pride:
I love you like this because I don’t know any other way to love,
except in this form in which I am not nor are you,
so close that your hand upon my chest is mine,
so close that your eyes close with my dreams.” — Pablo Nerudo
13. “And one day you’ll love her,
With the whole heart
she gave you.” — Coco J. Ginger
14. “I am yours as the summer air at evening is
Possessed by the scent of linden blossoms,
As the snowcap gleams with light
Lent it by the brimming moon.
Without you I’d be an unleafed tree
Blasted in a bleakness with no Spring.
Your love is the weather of my being.
What is an island without the sea?” — Daniel Hoffman
15. “I loved you then,
And I love you still;
I adore you now,
And I always will.”— Joanna Fuchs
16. A Lover’s Touch by Michael Faudet. This is a poem about being passionately in love with someone, so much so that it feels like a dream.
17. “L is for “laughter” we had along the way.
O is for “optimism” you gave me every day.
V is for “value” of being my best friend.
E is for “eternity,” a love that has no end.” — John P. Read
Passionate Love Poems for Him
Falling in love with a man who makes you feel safe and whole is a special feeling. These passionate love poems for him perfectly exemplify how it feels to be deeply in love with a man.
18. You make me laugh when I cry,
you make me forget why.
You make me never want to be sad.
You make me melt when I’m cold,
make me smile when I’m mad.
I never knew I could do that.
19. To Be in Love by Gwendolyn Brooks. This is a passionate love poem about how being in love with someone makes two people become intertwined.
20. “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.” — Elizabeth Barrett Browning
21. Thank you for the safety,
For the hugs and the fun.
Thank you for the comfort,
For the kisses and the love.
I feel so lucky to have you
When you hold me at night.
I can’t wait to thank you
For the rest of my life.
22. I Just Love Him by B. Diaz. This passionate poem encaptures how sometimes, we love someone no matter how different we are.
23. To Know Him by Lang Leav. To love someone is to truly know them, and that is what this passionate love poem describes.
24. Senior Discount by Ali Liebegott. This sweet passionate love poem is about growing old and happy with the one you love.
Passionate Sad Poems About Love
When you love someone so passionately, the pain of the heartbreak will feel just as strong as the love. The feelings of heartbreak are just as complicated as those of being in love. Read these passionate sad love poems for some relief.
25. The Healing Flowers of Love by Alexandra Vasiliu. This poem is about how heartbreak can lead to growth.
26. “Neither of us is happy
Neither of us wants to leave
So we keep breaking one another
And calling it love.” — Rupi Kaur
27. You left
And you left your red shirt
And your paperback books
And the memory of your laugh
And an empty space beside me
On the couch we bought together.
28. Footprint on Your Heart by Gary Lenhart. This is a sad passionate poem about the mark someone you love leaves on you, even after they are not in your life anymore.
29. That Scene by Kristina Mahr. This poem describes acceptance and moving on from a love that you have lost.
30. A Thousand Words by Cindy Cherie. This passionate poem is about losing a love that you thought would last forever.