Inside: Lovely Mother’s Day poems that will let mom know how special she is to you, including poems about the loss of a mother figure.
A mother’s love is a feeling that is incredibly difficult to articulate, but these mother’s day poems get pretty close to doing so.
The beautiful thing about poetry is that it’s a wonderful way to communicate complex feelings and emotions.
Whether you’re looking for a poem that will make your card to your mother that much more touching, or just need a way to let her know just how much she and the relationship between the two of you means, these poems all touch upon the variety of ways a mother’s love resonates with us.
Mother’s give us everything, from our first heartbeat they are constantly by our side, no matter how crazy they may drive you at times!
This mother’s day, go beyond the traditional breakfast in bed, and include a sentimental poem that will properly explain how much she means to you — she deserves it.
Funny Mother’s Day Poems
Start your mom’s special day off with a mixture of laughter and love! These poems touch upon how much she means to you, but in a way that will definitely make her laugh along.
1. Mom you know the worst of me,
My weaknesses and follies,
I know you’ve seen me poop my pants
And cut the heads off dollies,
You know all my most embarrassing moments,
You know that I’m a nut,
So what can I do to repay your love…
…And make sure you keep your mouth shut!? —Holly Giffers “You Know Me”
2. The Truth – A hilarious poem about how no one can put up with you and all your moods like your mom has for so long! This one will surely elicit a laugh out of her.
3. Please and Thanks – This poem is the typical interaction between parent and child, which will definitely make your mom chuckle! I would recommend following this one up with a sentimental poem, though.
Thoughtful Poems To Share On Mothers Day
Mother’s are truly a special species. These poems all touch upon just how incredible they, their love, and their guidance really mean to their children. Be prepared for some tears!
4. Your arms were always open when I needed a hug
Your heart understood when I needed a friend. —Sarah Malin
5. Dear Mom… – A beautiful, short poem that thanks your mom for everything she has done for you in your life and giving you a love that has never wavered.
6. My Mother kept a garden,
A garden of the heart.
She planted all the good things
That gave my life its start.
She turned me to the sunshine
And encouraged me to dream.
Fostering and nurturing
The seeds of self-esteem.
And when the winds and rain came,
She protected me enough.
But not too much because she knew
I’d need to stand up strong and tough.
Her constant good example
Always taught me right from wrong.
Marker for my pathway
That will last a lifetime long.
I am my Mother’s garden.
I am her legacy.
And I hope today she feels the love
Reflected back from me. —Polly Castor “My Mother Kept A Garden”
7. Her Hands – This poem is an extremely touching declaration of appreciation for your mother and all she has instilled in you just by being by your side throughout your entire life.
8. You Are My Upper Hand – A lovely testimony of how mothers are always there for us even when we are at our lowest, offering guidance, love, and tenderness that is never faltering.
Poems For Mothers Day
Show your mom how much you truly love and appreciate her with these lovely poems that express those thoughts and feelings. A mother’s love, while difficult to express with words, is nicely articulated with the following poems, and your mom even if you’re not so good with words, your mom will be very touched by the emotions expressed in these poems.
9. God made a wonderful mother,
A mother who never grows old;
He made her smile of the sunshine,
And He molded her heart of pure gold;
In her eyes He placed bright shining stars,
In her cheeks fair roses you see;
God made a wonderful mother,
And He gave that dear mother to me. —Pat O’Reilly “Wonderful Mother”
10. How did you find the energy, Mom
To do all the things you did,
To be teacher, nurse and counselor
To me, when I was a kid.
How did you do it all, Mom
Be a chauffeur, cook and friend?
Yet find time to be a playmate,
I just can’t comprehend.
I see now it was love, Mom
That made you come whenever I’d call,
Your inexhaustible love, Mom
And I thank you for it all. —Joanna Fuchs “Everything Mom”
11. The Centerpiece of My Life – Honor your mother with this stunning poem that shows gratitude and appreciation for everything your mom has done for you. From giving you life to being there to pick you up when you are down.
Mother’s Day Poem For Moms In Heaven
Mother’s in Heaven hold a very special place in the hearts of those who they raised. While this day may be a little more difficult, know that the effects your mother left on your will last for a lifetime. Show appreciation for all that she had done for you with these incredibly touching poems.
12. Happy Heavenly Mother’s Day – A lovely poem dedicated to those mothers who are being celebrated while in Heaven.
13. You laid down your burdens in life long ago,
But your achievements still shine in this world.
The family you created lives on and grows,
The lessons you taught us guide us still,
And we pass them on to our children so they prosper.
Yours was a life well-lived,
And we gather each Mother’s Day to reminisce,
Laugh a lot, and sometimes even cry a little.
You live on in our memories, Mom,
Until we meet again in Heaven. —”Still Honoring You On Mother’s Day”
More Poems You’ll Love
- 21 Unique Poems About the Moon and the Stars – The night sky has bewildered humans for centuries. It’s enchanting nature has elicited so many emotions from us that manifested into poems. With the recent pop culture interest in astrology, the thoughts and feelings these poems express are once again relevant. Looking up at the night sky elicits so many emotions that feel as otherworldly as the object that create them, but through these poems, those feelings are able to be replicated into words and therefore better understood and shared.
- 23 Enchanting Flower Poems – Different flowers symbolize a variety of meanings. They express love, attraction, happiness and hope. The blooming of flowers acts as a must for many art mediums, especially poetry. In this list, we compiled the most alluring and beautiful poems with flowers as the centripetal focal point.
- 21 Inspiring Poems About Community – Being a part of a community is a feeling like no other. The endless support and unity is a feeling that is truly inspiring and worthy of a poem or two. Whether that community be friends, family, neighbors, or any other group you feel uplifted by, these poems will properly articulate the feelings that come along with being a part of one.